bad things in sw
- Functional correctness: It doesn’t produce the results we expect.
- Reliability: It mostly shows correct answers but sometimes it doesn’t.
- Usability: Sure it works but it is inconsistent and frustrating to use.
- Accessibility: Like usability, but exclusionary and probably illegal.
- Predictability: It has random spikes in resources such as memory, I/O, or CPU usage, or occasionally hangs for a noticeable amount of time.
- Observability: It mostly works, but when it doesn’t it is hard to identify why.
- Compliance: It works but it doesn’t handle personal information correctly, say.
- Security: It works as designed but it exposes security vulnerabilities.
The purpose of testing is to increase confidence (reducing uncertainty) for stakeholders (anyone who is affected) through evidence (data, not reputation).